During U-M’s 2018 Spring Break week, GradCru/Cru staff and students traveled to the Caribbean island nation of Cuba to minister there with Filter of Hope. The team installed 53 home water purification filters, shared the gospel message of Jesus Christ with 86 adults, and had the privilege to see 39 receive Christ. It truly was an amazing week!
Now we’re putting together a second trip to Cuba during U-M’s 2019 Spring Break week.
WHO: We hope to take 10-15 graduate students who are involved with GradCru at U-M. And, we’ll partner again with Michigan Cru (undergrad) to assemble a full team of 30.
WHERE: The metro area of Havana — Cuba’s capital city where 2.1 million people live.
WHEN: Saturday, March 2 through Friday, March 8, 2019 (which is during U-M’s 2019 Spring Break).
WHY: GradCru is partnering again with the non-profit, non-government organization (NGO) called “Filter of Hope” (FOH) to help provide clean water to families in slum areas of Havana, Cuba.
Here are some statistics from the FOH website:
- Almost 1 billion people worldwide (1 out of 7) lack access to clean, safe drinking water (WHO).
- Water-related illnesses are the leading cause of human sickness and death worldwide.
- Over 1.5 million people die each year from drinking contaminated water.
- 28,000 children die every week from water-related illnesses!
- Over 3,000 children die each DAY from drinking unsafe water (UNDP).
- A child dies every 30 SECONDS from a preventable water-related disease (CDC).
- Lack of access to safe drinking water keeps families sick and unhealthy — and prevents children from attending school.
- Without clean drinking water, there is no possible way for poor families to break out of the cycle of poverty.
This video produced during the MSU trip last year is exactly where and what the U-M trip experienced in 2018. Same slum area and type of homes, same opportunities to install the filters and share the gospel. Some of the same translators and classic 1950’s cars.
CLICK HERE to visit the Filter of Hope website.
CLICK HERE to visit the Filter of Hope Facebook page where you can click to “Follow” their excellent posts, especially on your smart phone.
CLICK HERE to view/download information page about GradCru 2019 Spring Break trip.
If you are interested to get more information and specific details about this humanitarian and gospel mission trip, contact Chuck Roeper at email@example.com.
We use the online “Mission Minder” website (like GoFundMe) to develop funds to cover all participant costs, including: flights, water filters, medical/travel insurance, Visa fees, all in-country costs (housing, food, transportation), small administrative fee, and much more. Specific amounts will be provided when the team is assembled, but should be about $1800 for each person.